Scones


Ahh, England. When most of us think about England, we think about London. I can't blame you, I'm in love with London too. My parents fell in love with the English landscape and go there each summer  if they can. I'm not really into driving around and watching beautiful villages and landscapes, but when it comes to London, I'm the first one to book tickets!


The English have some very nice traditions too. They enjoy afternoon tea and are known for their English breakfast. I love both of them, although I'm not a fan of sausages, beans and tomatoes in the morning. I am a huge fan of everything sweet though, and good for me that I'm not the only one. Lucky thing I don't eat it too often, you could be rolling me!


Currently, I'm in my last year of high school. This week was oficially the last week of class and all I have left right now, are my final exams. After that, I'll graduate and university is already waiting! Leaving a school after six years definitely is a bit sentimental and we have been 'celebrating' it all week. For one or other reason, the best way to celebrate seems eating. I have been eating all kinds of decadent and very-bad-for-me foods this week and Friday definitely was the worst day on that part!


The first 2 hours of the day were my final course of English. But it wasn't a regular course, we decided to combine afternoon tea and English breakfast! Actually, it just meant that we had an afternoon tea in the morning. But there's no fun to just drinking tea, so of course we had to bake something! Someone made cinnamon rolls, someone made blueberry & apple muffins, someone made oatmeal cookies.. And I decided to go for an English traditional sweet, namely scones. I am completely in love with scones. The taste of the jam and the clotted cream, combined with the pastry, it's heaven!


I found a recipe in my cook book, 1001 Cupcakes, that actually was very easy. I made miniature scones, just because they're even cuter that way. The great thing about scones is that they are not overly sweet themselves, so you can make them as crazy as you prefer. Here in Belgium, there is no such thing as clotted cream. Therefore, we usually eat our scones with whipped cream. Well, I cannot resist freshly whipped cream, but I am not a fan of the spray creams. That is why the scones on the pictures only have jam on them. I ate one today with cherry jam and another one with blueberry jam and honestly, they were both absolutely delicious. I do recommend eating them within two days, because they start to lose their taste afterwards. Either way you prefer eating them, enjoy!

Ingredients
for approximately 25 small scones (the recipe says it yields 10, but that depends on the size)
  • 400 grams (3.2 cups) of all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 250 ml (1 cup) of milk
  • 60 grams (1/4 cup) of butter
Preheat your oven to 220°C/ 430°F.

Sift your flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and combine. Cut the butter into small pieces and fold it in your flour mixture, until you get a crumbly mixture.

Add in your sugar and when that is mixed it, add your milk to form a sticky dough. Spread the dough on a floury surface and roll into a 1 cm - thick piece. (0.4 inch)

Put some parchment paper on your baking sheet.

Take a cutter (a glass works fine) that matches the size you want your scones to be. I like miniature ones, so I took the smallest glass I could find. Once you have done that, start cutting out circles and put these onto a bakingsheet. If your circles aren't thick enough, you can always opt to put two on top of each other - that is what I did.

Right before you put these in the oven, spread some milk on each scone. Put them in the oven for about 12 minutes. I put mine in for 15 minutes, because I prefer these to be a tad brown.

Let cool, maybe whip some cream in the meantime, or make your clotted cream and enjoy these with a dollop of cream and some jam!

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment