Homemade Muesli


As I told before, I love eating breakfast since I started eating healthier. One of the first things I tried, was muesli. Of course, I made a newbie mistake. I didn't look at the ingredients and picked the one that looked the best. It was delicious. Until I discovered the amount of sugar in there. It was brown sugar, but still. The next kind of muesli I bought, was one without much sugar and honestly, I didn't like it at all at first.


Over the past year, I usually chose muesli with nuts and dried fruit. I've really been loving that, but eating the same kind of muesli over and over again gets as boring as eating toast. Last Christmas, I got an amazing cook book from my godfather. It was the Leon Baking & Puddings cookbook and just the layout itself is beautiful! But I can also recommend it for the very delicious recipes that are in there. Whenever I browse through it, I want to be baking the entire day.


The nice thing is that there are also quite some healthy recipes in there. Score! The very first recipe I tried was the Healthy Muesli. It was very nutty and while I like that, it was more something to make once in a year, because of the specific taste. My dad was in love with it though! There are 3 muesli recipes in the book and I decided to try the regular muesli. It contains a little more sugar, but you can easily replace that, which I did. You pretty much can put in any nuts & dried fruit you like, which is amazing. I kinda forgot to put in dried fruit though, so I'll have to do that right before I eat it. As long as it is delicious, I don't mind.


I must admit, this is much more something for me than the other muesli. It is crisp, sweet (but not overly sweet) and I'm just addicted to the roasted almonds. Oh yes, roasted almonds. That pretty much sold me. So, I'll stop the talk and just let you enjoy.

P.S.: I ate this muesli this morning with homemade strawberry jam & raisins and it was to die for!
P.P.S.: Don't let the large list scare you! The steps are really easy.

Ingredients
approximately 1.6 kg - that means a LOT!
  • 600 grams (6.5 cups) old-fashioned oats
  • 50 grams (1/4 cup) flax seed
  • 50 grams (1/3 cup) sesame seeds
  • 125 grams (7/8 cup) of almonds (not roasted!)
  • 50 ml (1/5 cup) maple syrup
  • 100 ml (2/5 cup) sunflower oil
  • 250 ml (fluid) honey
  • 50 grams (1/4 cup) dark brown sugar
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) of water
  • 1.5 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more - I'm a junkie)
  • some fresh nutmeg & seasalt
  • dried fruit of choice (in this recipe: 125 g dried apricots, 100 g sultanas and 50 dried sour cherries)
Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F. Line two baking plates with parchment paper.

Combine the oats, almonds, flax seed and sesame seeds in a big bowl and put aside.

Heat up the sunflower oil, honey, sugar and water in a little pan on low. Keep stirring so everything melts without burning.

Take the syrupmixture off the fire and mix the vanilla, spies and salt with it. Pour the syrup over the oatmeal mixture and mix thoroughly so everything is covered with the syrup.

Spread the mixture over the plates and put in the oven for one hour.

After one hour, take out off the oven, mix everything a little bit with a metal spatula and put it back in the oven. Lower the temperature to 140°C/285°F and bake for 35 - 40 minutes, until the mixture looks goldish brown. Take out of the oven and let cool completely before you put in the apricuts, sour cherries and sultanas (which I forgot). Enjoy!

Share this:

, , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment