HEALTHY | Apple Muffins


It's finally here! I almost started thinking this recipe was doomed to never get on my blog, but I succeeded. Christmas came up way too fast, so I had no time to bake something in between learning, celebrating Christmas and trying to sleep a little bit too. Okay, I'm being a pussy here because I actually do get quite some sleep. Well, it's supposed to be vaction so I feel like I deserve some as well! Now before I get completely off-topic, onto the muffins.


The original recipe for these muffins is from Jeroen Meus, who always creates the most amazing recipes. I made these about 2 years ago for my family and they were amazing. The thing is, his recipes are never really healthy. And although that's not always necessary, I wanted to try to healthify this one. I must say I was quite proud that it worked!


I only used maple syrup to sweeten these muffins and although these aren't extremely sweet, they are divine. The apple chunks are rather sweet themselves so there is no need for the muffin to be very sweet too. These are the perfect pick me up in the afternoon! The combination of apple-maple-cinnamon makes them perfect for this time of the year as well.


If you are like me and ate a little way too much at all those Christmas dinners, these muffins are perfect. Whenever I eat a lot of sweets, I tend to have cravings for them the next days and that's when these come in. So you can eat too much at New Year's festivities. Bingo!

Ingredients
for 6 muffins
  • 200 grams whole wheat flour (or 100 grams spelt flour and 100 grams buckwheat flour, which is what I did)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 5 tablespoons maple syrup + 1 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 apple
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 60 grams low-fat yogurt
  • 1 - 2 dl skim milk
Cut the apple in small chunks and bake them in 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup until they're soft and golden. Add the cinnamon and toss everything together. Let cool.

In a bowl, mix the flour and the baking powder. Add in 5 tbsp maple syrup, the egg, the yogurt and the milk. I suggest starting off with 1 dl and adding more when the dough is too sticky.

Mix everything together. Preheat the oven to 210°C/420°F. Fold the apple chunks through the dough and line a muffin tin with molds. Silicone molds are best, because no paper will stuck to your muffins.

Divide the dough over the muffin tin. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool, make a cup of tea and enjoy!

Share this:

, , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment