Apple Tartelettes


It's been shamingly long since I posted a recipe. The last proper recipe I made was for my tanned blondies and that was over two months ago! How time flies.. This week, I finally had time to dive into the kitchen again and since we had some apples in our fridge that had had their best time, I wanted to make something with apples. I've been working at Le Pain Quotidien the past month and all the beautiful and delicious pies and tartelettes inspired me to make apple tartelettes!



I wanted my tartelettes to have a shortbread crust, so I decided to use the dough from my pear tart as I knew it would work fine. I don't like my pies to have a thousand-and-one ingredients, so I decided to keep it really simple and only use apple for the filling! Feel free to play around with this, as a thin layer of jam or curd (this one from Dille & Kamille is to die for) would be a nice accomplishment as well. My family isn't a fan of traditional pies with a lot of whipped cream or regular cream, so they were happy I kept it simple!


We didn't have any moulds lying around, so I went on a little hunt in town to find the cheapest! I eventually bought mine at Hema, where you get 4 of them for €5.50. I originally wanted my tartelettes to be a little bigger, but I'm actually happy how they turned out! I'm honestly really proud of how they look. It's not the easiest recipe because it involves some kneading and rolling, but you only need a couple of ingredients and it can't go wrong.


These look a lot more difficult and time-consuming than they actually are, so definitely give them a go if you have some free time! I made 6 tartelettes and that was just enough for us - my dad had two, of course - but I'll have to make more for my friends soon. I ate the tartelette on itself, but I feel like a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be a very nice companion. I hope you'll try these out and let me know if you do!

Ingredients
for 6 tartelettes
  • 70 grams sugar
  • 125 grams butter
  • 165 grams all-purpose flour + extra for kneading
  • 1 apple
  • cinnamon
  • 1 egg, for brushing
Preheat the oven on 175°C/ 350°F. Grease the baking moulds with butter or oil.

In a bowl, combine the sugar, butter and flour and mix until a dough forms. You'll need some patience for it, as it gets very crumbly at first!

When that's done, dust some flour on a surface and start kneading the dough. Roll out into a big circle and divide the dough in 6 equal parts. Roll out each part again until it's big enough to fit the molds.

Push the dough into the molds and make sure to press everything so you end up with an even crust. Cut away any parts that come over the the moulds.

Cut the apple in very thin slices. I prefer them to be as thin as possible, but that's a personal opinion! Sprinkle some (or a lot) of cinnamon on top and mix properly. Be careful though, as you don't want to break the apple parts.

Divide the apple parts over the moulds. You might have to puzzle a little, but try to cover the entire bottom. Whisk an egg and brush over the tartelettes for a nice, golden-brown glaze.

Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes. I baked mine for 15 minutes and then broiled them for a pretty colour, but you can leave them in the oven a little longer as well. The main thing to look out for are the apples, as they shouldn't burn! Let cool completely before you remove the tartelettes from their moulds. Enjoy!

Share this:

, , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment