Marzipan Cookies


It's that time of the year again. Most stores are getting out their Christmas stuff by now, but in Belgium & Holland there's another holiday squished in between. Sinterklaas! It's the day of truth for children, because only the ones who have been good all year will be receiving gifts and sweets. Tomorrow, Sinterklaas will be arriving in Antwerp with tons of marzipan, kruidnoten and mandarins. So what is more appropriate to celebrate his arrival than baking with it?


sipping on some Kusmi tea + eating marzipan cookies

I present: marzipan cookies! I don't always have time to spend my entire day in the kitchen, kneading dough, waiting for it to rise and baking cookies. Sometimes, I want something quick and delicious! I have the easiest, fool-proof recipe that I love to whip up from time to time if I want a quick sugar fix and when I was eating breakfast last weekend (with marzipan, duh), a light bulb appeared in my head. My easy cookies combined with marzipan? That must be love!


If you are a true marzipan lover - I truly hope you are, how can you not like marzipan? -, you will agree with me that one should never ever buy marzipan if there is less than 50% almonds inside. You really don't need any more sugar than that, believe me. The perfect balance of sugar and almonds makes it a dream in your mouth. And if you don't think so, I suggest you try again.


These cookies are anything but difficult. The most difficult part? The marzipan filling, which literally is cutting pieces off a block and shaping them into rounds. Sounds like something you can do, huh? This last part takes some time, but if you think about the fact that making the dough takes 5 minutes and baking takes 15, an extra 10 minutes for marzipan is worth it. Cookies are awesome, but cookies with filling? For only 10 minutes extra? I thought so too. Let me know if you make these!

Ingredients
for about 20 cookies

  • 50 grams granulated sugar
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • 60 grams butter
  • 50 grams self-raising flour
  • marzipan, to your liking
Preheat the oven to 220°C/450°F. In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar until you reach a creamy mixture. 

Add in the egg until it is fully mixed in. Add in the flour and make sure everything is properly mixed. This might take a little while. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

With the help of 2 teaspoons, place a little dollop of dough on the baking sheet and spread it out into a circle. Cut a piece off the marzipan and shape it like a circle, a little smaller than your cookie. Put that on top of the dough and place another dollop of dough right on top. Spread it out as well so your marzipan is fully covered. 

Repeat for every cookie. Depending on how strong you like the marzipan flavour to come through, make a thicker or thinner circle of marzipan. I'd definitely go for a thicker circle, because it might get overshadowed by the cookie flavour if it isn't big enough. 

Don't make your cookies too big, they might be overpowering. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Let cool a little so they become crispy. These are best eaten the day they are made or the day after. Enjoy!

Share this:

, , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment