Caprese Bread


Ever since I can remember, I have loved anything Caprese-like. I have always been a pizza lover and the only 2 pizzas I ever ate when I was a kid were Caprese or Margharita. Same goes for the Caprese Salad. There is nothing else that I can eat as often in the summer time. Or a caprese baguette! Hmm, it can really make my day.

As I was browsing through Pinterest, I stumbled accross a recipe that seemed to be made for me. Caprese bread. When I read the post, I found out that the writer & I shared a passion: caprese. If she loved the bread so much, I knew I just had to try it out too! And yes, it was as amazing as it looked.


This definitely is a nice bread to use as a side dish, or maybe even as an appetizer? You could definitely impress your guests and it is not hard to make at all. The good thing is that it is yeastless, which makes it easier for non-professional bakers. Yeast can be very hard to work with, and on top of that, it has a quite specific taste. Which this bread doesn't have!


I do recommend waiting enough before trying it out. Of course, I was too impatient and tried it before it had cooled completely. The taste was a little bit dull, but when I tried again later, everything turned out fine! The next time I make this bread, I will put in even more sundried tomatoes, just because their taste is amazing in this bread. Oh, and I highly recommend using a lot of spices (basil & pepper). The sad thing is that my bread sank while cooling down. I have no idea why this happened, but it might just be that I had bad luck.

Ingredients
for 1 loaf
adapted from Will Cook For Smiles
  • 150 grams (1 1/4 cup) of all purpose flour
  • 125 grams (1 cup) of bread flour
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 125 grams (4 ounces) of mozzarella cheese, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
  • 50 grams (1/3 cup) of sundried tomatoes
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons of grape-seed oil, but olive oil works just great
  • 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) of buttermilk (for a substitute, look down below)
Preheat your oven to 175°C/350°F. Grease a bread pan (or cake mould).

In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix unntil everything is properly combined.

Add all the caprese-style ingredients: the basil, sundried tomatoes and the mozzarella. Mix well.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the 'wet' ingredients: buttermilk, oil and eggs.

Pour the liquids into the dry mixture and mix with a wooden or plastic spoon until all ingredients are properly combined and the dough is sticky. Mine was a little bit too wet, but that is not a disaster.

Transfer the dough into the pan (or mould) and spread evenly. Put in the oven for 45 minutes. Let cool completely (yes, it is hard to be so patient), and enjoy!

Buttermilk substitute: for 300 ml of buttermilk, you will need:
  • just under 300 ml of milk
  • 1 1/4 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar
Combine the two, stir and let sit for at least five minutes. After that, use as much as you need.

Share this:

, , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment