Walnut Cake


As soon as our garden is filled with walnuts, I know it is fall. Yup, for some people fall may be falling leaves or hot drinks, but for me it's gathering walnuts. We have a huge (and beautiful) walnut tree in the back of our garden and I really love it - until the nuts start to fall down. For us, that means picking them up 2 to 3 times a week and each year, we have so much walnuts we could sell them.

Now you might think that is amazing, but for someone who doesn't really like walnuts, it isn't. This year though, I had the great plan to immediately do something with some of the nuts. And so this Walnut Cake was born!

My very smart plan was to crack them all open before using them. Well, that took me 2 and a half hours for 500 grams. Luckily I had my Gossip Girl dvd! I must admit: I cursed a little. Let's say I won't be doing that anymore in the near future! But my hard work paid off: this cake is perfect! Or that is at least what my family thinks. Seems like a success to me!


So if you are a fan of delicious cake and a fan of nuts, try this. And if you aren't, just give this a chance. You'll probably like this.

Ingredients 
for 1 large cake
  • 250 grams walnuts (or mixed nuts)
  • 250 grams whole wheat flour
  • 250 grams butter
  • 200 grams brown/white sugar (the original recipe called for white sugar, but I used brown)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 packet vanilla sugar
  • 1 packet instant yeast
Put your nuts into a food processor until they are chopped up. You can choose how big you want the chunks to be. Preheat your oven to 175°C/350°F.

Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar until you have a creamy consistency. Add in the eggs and the chopped nuts and mix. Lastly, add the flour and the yeast. The easiest way is to gradually do this.

Pour the mixture into a greased cakemold and bake it for 70 minutes. I know, it looks a long time, but it is correct! Let cool completely before you eat it and as always, enjoy!

Share this:

, , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment