EASY | Appelbollen


As you may know, this Monday was Epiphany. I never really celebrated it, although I did go out singing once when I was a child. But what's more important: the Monday afterwards, we celebrate 'Verloren Maandag', which can be translated as Lost Monday. It is a typical holiday in Belgium and we celebrate it by eating sausage rolls (try searching worstenbrood if you really want to see what it is) and... Appelbollen!


I couldn't find a proper translation for them, so I decided to just not translate them. Again, these really are typically Belgian. It's pretty much an apple with puff pastry around it, baked in the oven. Very simple, but so delicious.


Since I'm vegetarian right now, I can't eat the sausage rolls anymore. I was never a huge meat fan, but I really love those! Oh well, I'll just eat two appelbollen as of now. They are very easy to make and a quick little dessert. For some reason, I never made them myself though. They're just so easy to buy at the bakery that I didn't even think of making them. Until this year!


So, what are you still waiting for? You've got the recipe and you have until next monday to get all of the ingredients. Believe me, it's delicious. Honestly, I eat it for dinner. Says enough!

P.S.: I have one tip for you: buy something to core your apple. A knife works too, but that makes it not being easy anymore...

Ingredients
for 4 appelbollen
  • 4 apples
  • 8 sheets of puff pastry
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • confectioner's sugar
Line a baking plate with a baking sheet. Prheat your oven to 200°C/400°F. Peel and core the apple. Mix the sugar and the cinnamon. Roll the apples through the mixture.

Put the apple on a sheet of puff pastry. Fill the core with the sugar mixture. Put a second sheet on the apple and add them to each other.

Sweep some of the egg over the apple so it will be nice and golden. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. If you want, dust some of the confectioner's sugar over the apples. Enjoy!

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment