Cinnamon Rolls


Guess what? It's that time of the year again! I'm eating apples on such frequency that my friends say I'm turning into one and emptying out cinnamon jars faster than ever. I'm happy! Apart from some very rainy (aka sucky) days, the weather has been surpisingly soft. The sun doesn't come out that often anymore but well, I'll take what I get!


This summer, I participated in a tv quiz with my dad, called Twee tot de zesde macht. If you win the quiz, you win €10.000! We weren't allowed to tell anyone how we did until it aired, so when it came on tv 2 weeks ago I invited all of my friends over. And because I had to take the opportunity, I baked something. I know they always appreciate that!


I had been wanting to make cinnamon rolls myself for quite a while now, since I try them almost anytime when I get the occasion. So far, most recipes I found were either too time-consuming or had a billion ingredients and steps. Until I bumped into an amazing recipe from Minimalist Baker. I knew I had to give it a shot! I'm a huge fan of their blog, because they share recipes with 10 ingredients or less, in 30 minutes or less or in one bowl. Perfect for the lazy people (hi).


These were good! My friends all liked them and even took some home. And not hard to make at all. There are only 7 ingredients, the only thing you need is patience and some time. I made these on a saturday afternoon while I was studying, so that was perfect! The original recipe calls for vegan butter but I used regular butter and that worked like a charm. Let me know if you give these a try!

Ingredients
for approximately 10 rolls - recipe from Minimalist Baker
  • 1 packet of instant yeast
  • 250 ml (1 cup) non-dairy milk (important! The protein in dairy might kill the yeast so be sure to use non-dairy)
  • 375 grams all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 60 grams + 1 tablespoon sugar (divided)
  • 115 grams butter
Heat the almond milk and 3 tablespoons butter until warm & melted, but not boiling! It should be warm but not too hot, or it might kill the yeast.

Transfer this mixture to a large bowl and sprinkle on the yeast. Let this sit for 10 minutes to activate, than add 1 tablespoon sugar and the salt and stir.

Add in the flour in parts, stirring as you go. When it's too thick and sticky to stir, transfer to a floured surface and roll into a loose ball. Coat a clean bowl with oil, put in the dough and cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Set in a warm place to rise for about an hour.

On a floured surface, roll out the ball into a rectangle. Brush with 3 tablespoons melted butter and top with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.

Tightly roll up the dough, seam side down. Cut the dough into smaller sections and place in a buttered oven tin. You should have around 10 rolls (I had 9). Brush with the remaining (melted) 2 tablespoons of butter and cover with plastic wrap again. Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and put the bowl on top of (or next to) the oven while it is heating.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until (slightly) golden brown. Let cool just a little bit, but they are best when warm. Enjoy!

Share this:

, , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment