Chocolate Rolls


They made it! Last week, I already revealed something about the recipe I wanted to make and luckily I had more time on hand yesterday. I told you it was something with chocolate, and if that isn't good enough already, it's perfect to make for breakfast tomorrow! Believe me, you'll be sleeping like a baby if you know these rolls are waiting for you.



In Belgium, they sell chocolate bread in bakeries, which is like this but one big loaf. The last couple of times I was in a bakery, I was always eyeing it but I really wanted to make one myself! You need a lot of time because the rolls need a lot of time to rest, but it's all so worth it. I was home all day yesterday, so I decided to give it a go. I must admit: they turned out just as I hoped!


I tried one fresh out of the oven and well, these do not disappoint. The good thing about these is that they can be eaten any time in the day! Or at least, that's my opinion. I ate one at 4 PM because I couldn't resist any longer, but I know I'll be having one for breakfast tomorrow too! These aren't hard to make, but they do take quite some time. If you have a kitchen machine, you'll be saving yourself quite some time and muscle work! But don't panic, the taste is SO worth the time.


These are a little like brioches but crispier. Perfect combo if you ask me: a crisp crust with a soft inside. Can it really get any better? Lately I'm all about quick and easy recipes, but making something like this is really worth it from time to time. They need to rise twice, which takes quite some time, and if you knead by hand you should do it for 15 minutes. So yes, you really need to have some time on hand, but these are perfect on a Sunday afternoon or a boring study day (aka my life atm)!

Ingredients
for 10 rolls

  • 500 grams all purpose flour
  • 20 grams fresh yeast or 10 grams dry yeast
  • 50 grams butter
  • 8 grams salt
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 100 grams chocolate chips
  • 2 dl lukewarm milk
  • 2 eggs
When not using a kitchen machine: Mix the yeast with the flour if you use dry yeast. Arrange the flour on your working surface in an O-shape. If you use fresh yeast, mix it with the milk but don't pour it in yet! 

When using a kitchen machine: Instead of laying out the flour in an O-shape, just pour it in the mixing bowl. The rules for fresh and dry yeast are the same as without a kitchen machine.

These steps are the same for both ways: Add the sugar and 1 egg. Mix in the milk gradually. When this mixture starts to get sticky, mix in the salt and the butter. Knead the dough very firmly for 15 minutes. When using a kitchen machine, let that do all the work! Keep it on low speed and make sure to knead long enough, because the gluten chains need time to bond. 

After kneading, cover with a damp kitchen cloth and let it rise at room temperature for 30 minutes. Press it down and knead through the chocolate chips. Let rest for 10 minutes, covered. 

Divide the dough into 10 parts. Roll into balls and put on a baking sheet, covered with parchment paper. Let them rest one last time for 20 minutes, covered.

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Whisk the remaining egg and brush the rolls with it. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Let them cool before you eat them (but they are delicious lukewarm). Enjoy! 


Share this:

, , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment