RUN | Sunrise Or Sunset?


It's no secret that I love running. Last Sunday was the most exciting event of the year, the DVV Antwerp Ten Miles! The fun thing is that it's pretty much in my backyard and it's huuuuge. This year, 42.000 people participated and it's always one big party. I first participated last year and this weekend was my second time. I was 5 minutes faster than last year, so I'm rather proud of that! Since I think I still have a runner's high, I wanted to do a post about morning and evening running.



First of all, the title of this post is a little deceiving. If I'm completely honest, I'm not that crazy to wake up before sunrise and go for a run. But it sounded good, right? From time to time, I love jumping out of my bed in the morning and going for a run. On other days I prefer my bed and I go for a run after school. When you're not sure when to run, let me tell you what I like!

First of all: I personally don't think it matters when you workout. Some people say working out first thing in the morning is best to burn fat, other say it's bad because you burn muscle too. In my opinion: as long as you're doing something, you're fine. Get that body moving! But there are some things I love about either running in the morning or in the evening and I wanted to share them with you.


Why you should run in the morning:

  • When it's done, you don't have to care about it anymore! It's amazing to come home at night and not having to bother about squeezing in a run.
  • It feels like you're waking up with the entire city.
  • You still have your entire day in front of you. Waking up a little earlier is really worth it, because it feels as if your morning is longer than usual. 
  • You feel fully energized and ready for the day.
  • You can impress other people by telling how much you have already done.. And make them a little jealous too! ;)
  • There is something about the morning sun that is the best. It feels like the sun is still fresh, if you know what I mean. 
  • The air is still warming up, which is great when it's going to be a hot day. Running in the afternoon is often too hot in that case.

Why you should run at night:
  • The sunset is beautiful! Purple, pink, orange, ... I'm often in awe with how the air changes as the sun is setting.
  • Running is a form of meditation for me. When I've had a hectic day, a quick run is perfect to let go of all the stress and to get rid of the chaos in my head. 
  • I always run near the river, and the smell at night is very unique and calming. 
  • Not a lot of people do it, so you're completely alone and it seems as if there's no one in the world. 
  • In Summer, the sun sets later so you can go for a run later! It's not always easy to go at night because you have to give your dinner enough time to digest, but that's no problem in Summer.
  • After a shitty day, the combination of running, music and sunset is the best remedy to make me feel better again.
  • On hot days, the cooling air is very welcome. Sometimes it's still too hot, but in Belgium the weather often cools quite a lot in the evening. 
I think it's pretty obvious I can't choose between running in the morning or in the evening. I love them both! In the colder months it's often a little too tempting to stay in my bed a little longer, but when it gets warmer I love waking up a little earlier. I hope I gave you some motivation to go running, no matter when. And you know what? I'll be up a little sooner tomorrow morning to work out!

Share this:

, , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment