Bagels


I can't exactly remember the first time I ate a bagel, but I know I'd been wanting it for quite a while. As always, it appeared in the US first and I often saw it online. I think I bought some bagels at Lidl during their 'American week' and I fell in love.

Nowadays, I eat bagels a little more often. Luckily, the cute lunch places in Antwerp picked up the trend too so I can eat my beloved bagel whenever I want. Although bagels on restaurant are always a little more special, I wanted to make my own. Bagels for lunch everyday? Hell yes!


Since it's a bread-like consistency, it takes quite some time. I suggest doing this on a day that you have more than enough time, because it needs to rest for a while and it's quite time-consuming too. To me, it's quite relaxing though. It's the perfect time to release all the anger inside, since you can punch away! I made them while I was learning and I found they were a perfect break.

the perfect toppings

The recipe says it yields 10 bagels, but mine were rather small. I don't mind at all, but if you prefer larger bagels I wouldn't try making ten. I put sesame seeds on mine because that was what we had at home, but you can perfectly choose wat to do. I'm really happy with them!

Ingredients
for about 10 small bagels
  • 310 grams flour, I used bread flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 packet dry yeast
  • 1 egg, lightly whisked
  • 200 ml lukewarm water
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • sesame seeds or other toppings of choice.
In a large bowl, sift the flour and the salt. Stir the yeast through and make a hole in the middle. In that hole, pour 1 tablespoon of the whisked egg and all of the lukewarm water.

Start kneading the dough into a ball and knead for 10 minutes until you have a nice and flexible dough. Put in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel and let it rest for one hour.

Take the dough out of the bowl and knead for 2 more minutes. Divide the dough in 10 parts and roll into balls. Let it rest for 5 minutes. With the back of a wooden spoon, make holes in the bagels. Once that is done, put the dough on greased baking plates, cover with a damp towel and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 220°C/440°F and fill a large pot with water. Let it come to a boil and when that happens, turn down the heat until it boils very softly. Take 2 bagels and put them in the water. Let them cook for 1 minute, then turn and let them cook for another 30 seconds. Take them out and put them on some paper to dry. Repeat to all of them.

Put the bagels back onto the baking plates. Mix the egg white with the water and brush it onto the bagels. When that is done, top it with whatever you want and put them in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!

Share this:

, , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment