HEALTHY | Carrot Cake Muffins


Before you are thinking: 'what the hell are you doing, you're putting vegetables in dessert?', stop! Hold your horses, dear. I know, I know, it doesn't sound delicious at all. But when you think about it, carrots are actually rather sweet. To be honest, I was sceptic for a really long time as well, until I actually tried carrot cake. So please don't give up on me yet.




Carrot cake is perfect for Autumn and Winter in my opinion, because of the warm spices in it. If you're a little up to date, you know today is the first official day of Spring! I'm SO ready for it. The weather is still a little confused though, which I'm not really liking. Anyway, back to the muffins. As I said, they're perfect for colder weather but if you're a fan of raisins and cinnamon these are good all year round.


Although carrot cake isn't always healthy, these muffins are! And the great part? You can't even tell. I gave some to my dad - the biggest carrot cake lover I know - and he was in love with them. Mission accomplished for me! Even if you have never tried carrot cake before, I urge you to try these. As soon as you take your first bite, you forget there's a carrot in here. Honestly, you cannot taste it!


These muffins are perfect for the busy bees here. They're really easy to make and there is nothing that really can go wrong, so I promise you these are perfect to quickly whip up when you have some friends coming over. Personally, I love baking a batch of healthy muffins so I can take one with me each day. When I'm hungry, I have absolutely no boundaries so if I have no food with me, I go for the first thing in my sight. These muffins are a saviour for me! So to stop myself before it gets embarrassing: go for it. Just do it!

Ingredients
for 12 muffins

  • 125 grams whole wheat flour
  • 60 grams dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 25 grams oats
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 150 grams apple sauce
  • 125 ml walnut oil/coconut oil/olive oil
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • a handful of raisins or dried prunes
Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F. Line a muffin tin with silicone liners or grease the tin with some oil. Sift the whole wheat flour, dark brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon. Stir the oats through.

In a separate bowl, mix the eggs with the apple sauce and the oil. In the flour mixture, make a hole and pour in some of the egg mixture. Mix everything through, gradually adding more liquid. 

Add in the grated carrots and the raisins or prunes. If the batter is too dry, add 1 - 2 tbsp hot water. Divide the batter over de liners and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Let the muffins cool completely and enjoy!

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment